The Visa payWave "Pay Faster to Win" Contest (the "Contest") Official Rules
To Enter: There are two ways to enter:
- An eligible Visa cardholder will automatically be entered for one chance to win each time she/he makes a purchase in an amount less than $50 (i.e. $49.99 or less) (inclusive of all taxes) at a participating Tim Hortons location in Canada using the Visa payWave function on her/his consumer or Small Business Canadian-issued Visa credit card or using the mobile/NFC function on a mobile device through an app provided by a Visa Canada licensed Financial Institution ("FI") that is linked to her/his consumer or Small Business Canadian-issued Visa credit card (a "Qualifying Purchase") between March 31, 2014 at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) and April 20, 2014 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (the "Contest Period"), that is posted to her/his consumer or Small Business account by April 25, 2014. Returns shall not be considered to be Qualifying Purchases. Transactions made during the Contest Period but not posted to the applicable Visa account by April 25, 2014, shall not be considered to be a Qualifying Purchase. Transactions completed using Corporate or Purchasing credit cards, Visa Prepaid cards, Gift Cards, Corporate Incentive Cards, Rebate cards or Visa Debit are excluded from the Contest. The following are also excluded from being eligible for entry: a) purchases made by an unauthorized user and b) purchases made with Visa cards which are stolen, fraudulent, tampered with, or otherwise altered.
- NO PURCHASE REQUIRED: To enter without purchase or obligation, Visa credit cardholders must hand-print the date, their name, address, city, province or territory, postal code, day and evening telephone numbers, the first 8 digits of their Visa credit account number, and the words "The Visa payWave 'Pay Faster to Win' Contest" on a 3" x 5" card, and include a 100-word handwritten original essay on "The value of using Visa payWave", and mail in a postage stamped envelope to: The Visa payWave 'Pay Faster to Win' Contest, 468 Queen Street East, Suite 301, Toronto, Ontario, M5A 1T7. Maximum of one non-purchase entry per outer envelope with sufficient postage. Non-purchase entries must be postmarked by the last day of the Contest Period, and only those received by April 25, 2014 will be included in the draw. No mechanical reproductions permitted. Entries become the property of Visa Canada Corporation (the "Sponsor") and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Drawing: A random draw will take place on May 1, 2014 at 1:00 P.M. ET in Toronto, Ontario. Forty–three (43) potential winners will be drawn at random from among all eligible automatic entries and all eligible non-purchase entries received during the Contest Period. The first potential winner drawn will be considered for the Grand Prize, the next twenty-one (21) potential winners drawn will be considered for the Secondary Prizes of Visa Prepaid cards and the next twenty- one (21) potential winners drawn will be considered for the Secondary Prizes of Tim Cards.
- Eligibility: To be eligible to win the prize, an entrant must: a) be a Canadian resident; b) be the primary cardholder of a consumer or Small Business Visa credit card issued by a FI prior to March 31, 2014 whose card is open and in good standing at the time of verification by the cardholder's FI; c) have reached the age of majority in the province or territory in which she/he resides as of March 31, 2014 and; d) not be an employee of, or living with an employee of, the Sponsor or its affiliates, the Sponsor-licensed financial institutions, the Sponsor's advertising or promotional agencies, the National Hockey League ("NHL"), NHL Enterprises, L.P., NHL Enterprises Canada, L.P., NHL Enterprises B.V., NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, the Member Clubs of the NHL (the foregoing NHL entities, collectively, the "NHL Entities"), Tim Hortons Inc., or the independent contest judging organization. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize and forty-two (42) Secondary Prizes are available to be won.
The Grand Prize consists of a trip for six (6) (winner and five guests) to attend one game of the 2014 Stanley Cup® Final and a Skating Party featuring the Stanley Cup. Approximate retail value of the prize is $20,000 CAD based on a Vancouver departure to Pittsburgh example for flights, although the actual retail value will vary depending on the point of departure and destination.
The 2014 NHL Stanley Cup® Final trip includes:
Six (6) round trip economy class airline tickets to one of the cities where the 2014 Stanley Cup® Final is being played (city to be designated by Sponsor in its sole discretion) from the Canadian international airport nearest to the winner's residence; six (6) 2014 Stanley Cup® Final game tickets (game and seat selection at sole discretion of the Sponsor); two (2) nights of hotel accommodations (double occupancy) at a hotel to be chosen by Sponsor in its sole discretion; and six (6) $250 CAD Visa Prepaid cards.
The Skating Party featuring the Stanley Cup will take place on or about December 6, 2014 (exact date and time to be designated by Sponsor and subject to change, each in Sponsor's or the NHL Entities' discretion). This portion of the prize includes:
Skating rink/party space rental for approximately thirty (30) guests for approximately 2 hours at a local skating rink (exact number of guests and amount of rink time to be designated by Sponsor in its sole discretion) nearest the Grand Prize winner's place of residence (skating rink to be designated by Sponsor in its sole discretion); an appearance of the Stanley Cup (up to a maximum of 2 hours) at the designated skating rink; and catering by Tim Hortons. Each of the attendees, determined by the Grand Prize winner, must sign and return the Sponsor's Release (as defined below), that will be provided to them on the day of the event, indicating that they waive all recourse against the Contest Parties (as defined in section 8) relating to their participation in the prize (including any travel related thereto) and in the case of an attendee that is under the age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence, such release must be signed by his/her parent/legal guardian. Non-commercial photography and video recording is permitted during the event. The Grand Prize winner and his/her attendees will be required to follow any and all rules regarding the Stanley Cup as stipulated by the NHL or its designee at any time, including that they will not be allowed to lift or move the Stanley Cup in any way.
The Contest Parties make no warranty, guaranty or representation of any kind concerning the Prize and disclaim any implied warranty.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the following general conditions apply to the Grand Prize: (i) the Grand Prize must be accepted as awarded and is not transferable or convertible to cash (no substitutions except at Sponsor's option); (ii) all travel related to the Grand Prize must occur on the dates specified by Sponsor, in its sole discretion (otherwise the prize will be forfeited) and the winner and his/her travel companions must: (a) travel on the same itinerary; (b) have all necessary documentation to permit international travel, if applicable (e.g., passport); and (c) not have any barrier to entry into the United States, if applicable; (iii) the costs of anything not specifically stated above as included in the Grand Prize and all fees and federal, provincial/state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winning entrant and his/her travel companions, including, without limitation, meals, gratuities, ground transportation, health and travel insurance and items of a personal nature; (iv) if the winning entrant (and/or his/her travel companions) does not utilize any part(s) of the Grand Prize, then any such part(s) not utilized will be forfeited in their entirety and nothing will be substituted in their place; (v) Sponsor reserves the right at any time and for any reason, including, without limitation, the delay or cancellation of the applicable Stanley Cup® Final game, to: (a) place reasonable restrictions on the availability or use of the Grand Prize or any component thereof; (b) substitute the Grand Prize or a component thereof with a prize or a prize component of equal or greater value, including without limitation, but at the Sponsor's sole discretion, a cash award; and (c) if any activity relating to the Grand Prize is canceled or postponed for any reason, the balance of the prize will be awarded in full satisfaction of the prize award; (vi) all travel arrangements relating to the Grand Prize must be made through the Sponsor or its designated agents; (vii) by accepting the Grand Prize, the winning entrant agrees to waive all recourse against the Contest Parties if the prize or a component thereof does not prove satisfactory, either in whole or in part; and (viii) the winning entrant's travel companions must sign and return the Sponsor's Release (as defined below), by the date indicated on the release form, indicating that they waive all recourse against the Contest Parties relating to their participation in the prize (including any travel related thereto) and in the case of a travel companion that is under the age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence, such release must be signed by his/her parent/legal guardian.
There are twenty-one (21) Visa Prepaid cards and twenty-one (21) Tim Cards® available to be won, each with a retail prize value of $100 CAD.
All Secondary Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable or convertible to cash. All Visa Prepaid cards offered as prizes in this contest are subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all Visa Prepaid cards. All Tim Cards offered as prizes in this Contest are subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all Tim Cards.
No substitutions of any Secondary Prizes, except at Sponsor's option. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a Secondary Prize or a component thereof with a prize of equal or greater value, including, without limitation, but at Sponsor's sole discretion, a cash award.
- Odds: The odds of winning the prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
- Use of Information: By using a Visa card or the Visa payWave Mobile App to make a Qualifying Purchase during the Contest Period, Visa cardholders agree to being automatically entered into the Contest and allowing the use of their account and contact information for the purposes of this Contest. If selected as a potential winner for the Contest, it will be necessary for the Sponsor to contact each potential winner's FI and personal information will be shared between such potential winner's FI and Visa as necessary for the purposes of administering the Contest and awarding the prizes. By participating in the Contest, each entrant agrees to the sharing of their personal information as set out above. If a Visa cardholder does not want to be automatically entered into the Contest, they must call 1-866-771-8005 prior to the end of the Contest Period and their Qualifying Purchases will not be entered into this Contest.
- Winner Notification/Prize Awards: The following process will be followed for the Contest. The selected entrant will be notified via courier or in person by the independent contest judging organization. In order to win the prize, the selected entrant must correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, arithmetical, skill-testing question and sign and return the Sponsor's standard declaration and release form (the "Sponsor Release") within seven (7) days from the time the prize notification is postmarked as having been sent by the independent contest judging organization. The skill-testing question and the Sponsor Release will be included in the prize notification package from the independent contest judging organization. A non-responding selected entrant will be notified by phone at the two primary telephone numbers (as indicated on their Visa account records maintained on their FI's system or as shown on their non-purchase entry) between the 4th and 6th days following the initial notification. No messages will be left and the independent contest judging organization must speak directly to the selected entrant. The potential winner will be disqualified and forfeit his/her right to the prize if: (a) the prize notification is returned as non-deliverable and telephone contact is not established; (b) if the Sponsor Release, including skill testing question, is not returned within seven (7) days from the time the prize notification package is postmarked as having been sent by the independent contest judging organization; or (c) if the skill-testing question is incorrectly answered. In the event of such a disqualification, at Sponsor's sole discretion and time permitting, the prize may be awarded to a potential alternate winner.
- Additional Terms: By participating, all entrants agree to: (a) these Official Rules and the decisions of the independent contest judging organization and the Sponsor that shall be final and binding without right of appeal in all respects; and (b) release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the NHL Entities, Tim Hortons Inc., Sponsor and its affiliates, Sponsor-licensed financial institutions, Sponsor's advertising or promotional agencies or the independent contest judging organization, and any of the foregoing entity's respective officers, directors, affiliates, related entities, partners, principals, representatives, agents, licensees, employees, vendors, successors and assigns (collectively the "Contest Parties") from any liability, claims, or damages, demands, actions, or causes of action whatsoever which they, their heirs, successors, assigns, executors, or administrators may now or hereafter have directly or indirectly against them or any of them in respect of or relating to the Contest, an entrant's participation in the Contest, and/or the acceptance or use, misuse, or possession of the prize and any travel related thereto. By accepting a prize, the winner agrees to the Sponsor's and its designee's use of his/her name, city, province or territory of residence and/or photograph or other likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without notice or compensation. All national, provincial and local laws and regulations apply.
- Limitation of Liability: The Contest Parties shall not be responsible for print or typographical errors in the offer or administration of the Contest or any other Contest-related materials; for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or postage-due no-purchase entries; or for entries that are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction. The Sponsor reserves the right, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec, to cancel or modify the Contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the Contest as determined in their sole discretion.
- For Québec Residents Only: Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of the prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
The NHL Entities are not a sponsor of this Contest. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark, image of the Stanley Cup and the Stanley Cup Final logo are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. NHL and NHL team marks are the property of the NHL and its teams. © NHL 2014. All Rights Reserved.