Protect Against Hacking
Tech-savvy criminals are often able to hack into company computer systems, where they can access customer information and obtain sensitive data about your business.
All merchants can safeguard their systems through the Visa Account Information Security program (AIS). This global initiative requires merchants to secure their virtual and physical environments, thus helping protect against hacks.
Steps to Prevent Hacking
- Ensure your business complies with the Visa AIS program.
- Limit employees accessing account data to a need-to-know basis.
- Develop in-house fraud detection programs. Example: guidelines for staff on how to spot and report suspicious activities.
- Install virus protection software and update it regularly.
- Immediately investigate, and report to your Acquirer, any suspected loss of account or transaction information.
- Encrypt any data accessible through the Internet and any data sent across networks.
- Securely destroy data when they are no longer needed for business reasons.
- Immediately remove access to the network and the premises for any employee who leaves your business.
- Do not provide account data over the phone – unless you are the one who initiated the call.