The fastest-growing fraud category in Canada is committed without the actual credit card – either online, over the phone or through the mail.
Visa offers protection against these fraudsters. A multi-layered approach brings both merchants and consumers multiple layers of security for Card-Not-Present transactions. These layers include:
Tips to Help Protect your Business
- Online merchants should sign up to participate in the Verified by Visa, CVV2 and AVS programs.
- When taking orders online or over the phone, ask the customer for the card expiration date and include it in your authorization request. An invalid or a missing expiration date may indicate that the physical card is not present.
- Use fraud detection tools such as the Three-digit Code and Account Information Security as part of your authorization process.
- Watch for purchases where multiple cards are used for a single IP (Internet Protocol) address. Also watch for orders charged to multiple cards but shipped to the same address.
- Be alert for transactions with several of the following characteristics: a first-time shopper, larger-than-normal orders, orders consisting of several of the same item, orders made up of "big-ticket" items, orders shipped "rush" or "overnight', and orders shipped to international addresses.